Iceland Travel Guide
Planning a trip to Iceland, but not sure where to start? This guide is for you!
Iceland is a unique place, one that impresses every visitor beyond expectations. It’s a country that has a lot to offer even to the most seasoned traveller. Iceland also transforms every season and no matter when or how you choose to visit Iceland, this magical place will not disappoint.
Maybe you are still undecided about visiting Iceland and are looking for travel inspiration? Or maybe you are planning your Iceland trip itinerary and don’t know where to start? Or you just need some practical advice or reassurance for your upcoming trip to Iceland… You should be able to find all the information you are looking for in our Iceland travel guide.
To make your Iceland trip planning and research easier, I created this page that bundles up all our blog posts about traveling to Iceland. From trip inspiration to sample trip itineraries and detailed guides to some of the nicest places in Iceland to practical tips and Iceland packing lists for all seasons… This should help you plan your own perfect trip to Iceland!
Our Iceland travel blog is a result of multiple trips to Iceland. Road tripping around the Ring Road in Iceland in spring, in summer, and in autumn, visiting the Icelandic highlands, exploring Iceland in winter – we’ve done it all.
Below you can find a big selection of articles filled with travel stories, inspiring images, and experience-based tips that will help you plan your trip to Iceland. Our Iceland travel guide. Take a look!
***This page contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a qualifying purchase through such a link. More info: Disclosure.
When to go to Iceland
Iceland is magical in any season. If you are not sure when to go to Iceland, take a look at our articles below – they should help you decide.
Iceland travel inspiration
Here you can find more detailed guides to different areas and activities in Iceland. Check it out!
- Best Places to Visit in Iceland
- Snæfellsnes Peninsula
- Reykjanes Peninsula
- Westman Islands – Visiting Heimaey Island
- Raudasandur Beach – Westfjords
- Perlan Museum in Reykjavik
- My favorite photos from Iceland
- Top 5 Winter Experiences in Iceland
- Glacier Hiking in Iceland
- Is Reykjavik Wort Visiting
- How To See and Photograph The Northern Lights
Iceland itinerary suggestions
Here you can find our suggestions for some of the best itineraries in Iceland.
- Best Iceland Itinerary Suggestions (From 1 to 14 days)
- The Best Iceland Winter Trip Itinerary For One Week (Covers all the highlights of the South Coast in 7 days, can be done in 4-5 days in other seasons)
- How To See THE BEST of Iceland in just 4 days
This is one of my favorite trips in Iceland. Ever. If you are looking for something truly unique and want to get off the beaten path in Iceland, check it out!
- See The Best of Iceland’s Highlands with a Private Driver – 4 Day Itinerary (Bucket List Trip)
Best tours and day trips in Iceland
There are so many organized tours, excursions, and activities in Iceland that it’s often difficult to know where to even start. I therefore created some guides where I selected the very best price-quality tours available. Take a look below!
- Best Guided Tours in Iceland (All Seasons)
- Best Iceland Day Trips, Excursions, and Tours from Reykjavik in Winter
- Amazing Half Day Tours from Reykjavik
TIP: For our own trips, we book pretty much all our day tours and activities via GetYourGuide, because they have the best customer service and cancelation policy we have ever seen. Booking directly with a local company usually means that you can’t cancel for free, let alone get a refund in case something goes wrong. So for that having a strong intermediary is always helpful and GYG is the best one we know. Another good website, specifically for tours in Iceland, is GuideToIceland. There you can find pretty much every tour available in the country and their cancelation policy for one day tours is also rather flexible.
Practical information for visiting Iceland
Here you can find some practical advice for your trip to Iceland. From budget tips to packing lists and everything else you may want to know before traveling to Iceland.
- HOW Expensive is Iceland (+ How To Save Money)
- What to Pack and What to Wear in Iceland in Summer
- What to Pack and What to Wear in Iceland in Winter
- Practical Information for Traveling to Iceland
- How to Get to Reykjavik from Keflavik Airport (Complete Guide to Airport Transfers)
- Winter Driving in Iceland
Camping in Iceland
If you are planning to camp in Iceland, make sure to read this guide. It should answer all your questions!
Accommodation in Iceland
If I can give you one piece of advise is to book your Iceland accommodation well in advance. Take a look below for some tips!
- Where to Stay in Iceland: Reykjavik hotels and Iceland accommodation along the Ring Road
- Where to Stay on Snaefellsnes Peninsula
- Booking.com is our first resource when booking accommodation for all our trips, also in Iceland. They have the best selection of hotels, B&B’s, and privately owned accommodations and the best transparent booking system.
- Hotels Combined is also a great site to compare hotel prices and find the best deals for your trip to Iceland. Chances are big, they’ll direct you back to Booking.com anyway, but if you want to be sure you’re getting the best deal, it doesn’t harm to check here.
Car Rental in Iceland
If you are looking to rent a car in Iceland, I can highly recommend Lagoon Car Rental. It’s a family-run local car- and camper rental. They offer a great selection of cars at competitive prices. What’s more important, the booking process is very easy, transparent, and there are no hidden fees. You know exactly what you’re paying for, which car you’re getting, which roads you can drive with the specific type of car, and what is or isn’t covered by your selected insurance. This is the company where we rent our car when we travel to Iceland.
If you want to be sure you’re getting the most competitive rates, I recommend using this car rental search engine to check for the best deals for car rental in Iceland. Just don’t forget to budget for extra insurance costs and remember that this search engine doesn’t include many local companies, like the Lagoon Car Rental mentioned above.
Flying to Iceland
Iceland is more accessible than ever before. There are too many flight options to even try to list them here. The link below will take you to a flight search engine that compares all the best flights available. We use it to search the best flight deals for all our trips.
It’s important that you are well covered when traveling, so a good travel insurance is a must. Here you can find more information about how to find the best international travel insurance.
TIP: If you are visiting Iceland and have some extra time to spare, you may want to also look into visiting the Faroe Islands and/or Greenland. Here you can find inspiration for your trip to the Faroe Islands and here you can find some tips and itinerary suggestion for visiting Greenland.
TIP:Join our Facebook Group for Iceland and Scandinavia Travel. We have lots of members who know the region quite well and should be able to help you with the practical side of planning a trip to Iceland and other Nordic Countries.
P.S. If you found this page useful, don’t forget to bookmark it for later reference and share it with your friends who are thinking of visiting Iceland. Are you on Pinterest? Save this image!