Are you visiting the famous coastal villages in Italy and wondering where to stay in Cinque Terre? Or maybe you’re interested to find out about the best alternative places to stay near Cinque Terre? This guide to Cinque Terre hotels is for you!
In this article, we feature a hand-picked selection of the best places to stay in Cinque Terre. You can also read about all the 5 Cinque Terre villages and the main advantages and disadvantages of staying in each of them.
Please note that Cinque Terre accommodation options are quite limited. The five towns are really small and there are just a few really nice hotels in Cinque Terre. A lot of Cinque Terre accommodations are therefore privately-rented rooms, apartments, or smaller hotels and B&B’s. It definitely has its charm, but the limited choice also means that Cinque Terre hotel prices are quite steep.
Therefore we also feature the best towns to stay near Cinque Terre. They are easier to reach (by car or by public transport), are perfectly located for visiting Cinque Terre, and accommodation prices in these towns are usually lower compared to Cinque Terre hotels.
Good to know: In this selection of the best Cinque Terre hotels, we only include hotels and accommodations that have good customer reviews (at least 8+ rating at Booking.com).
TIP: If traveling in high season (May to October), book your Cinque Terre hotel as soon as you know your trip dates. They sell out really quickly.
READ ALSO: Tips & Info for Visiting Cinque Terre
Without further ado, here is our complete guide to the best places to stay in and near Cinque Terre. Find out!
WHERE TO STAY IN CINQUE TERRE:
What’s the best town to stay in Cinque Terre
If you want to stay in one of the five Cinque Terre towns and are wondering which one is the best, you’ll find different opinions. After all, it’s a bit of a personal choice…
In a nutshell, Monterosso al Mare is best for the beach, if you come by car, or if you are looking for a longer and more comfortable stay. Manarola or Vernazza are much more picturesque, but accommodation choices are quite limited and most accommodations are not that easy to reach if you have mobility issues. Riomaggiore or Corniglia can also be nice, especially if you find a great accommodation with sea views.
I think that each 5terre village has something unique. Below you can find the advantages and disadvantages of each of the 5 villages. We also selected the best hotels and other highly-rated accommodation options in every Cinque Terre town.
Here are some important other things to consider:
- Please note that it’s really not advisable to visit Cinque Terre by car – most villages are simply not equipped for cars. The easiest Cinque Terre town to reach by car is Monterosso al Mare. For all the other towns, I suggest that you leave your car in either La Spezia or Levanto and take a train.
- Most Cinque Terre villages are built against a hill, therefore quite some accommodations require a steep walk to get there. Keep this in mind when researching best Cinque Terre hotels for your trip. At the bottom of this post I included a small selection of hotels that are easy to reach from the train station. So if you prefer not to have to carry your luggage uphill, you may want to check that.
Best Monterosso al Mare hotels
Monterosso al Mare is one of the bigger towns of Cinque Terre, offering a large choice of quality hotels and accommodations for all group sizes and budgets.
Furthermore, it’s also the least hilly of all Cinque Terre towns and the only town with a white-sand beach. As I already said before, Monterosso is also one of the towns that are easier to reach by car.
Monterosso is the most northerly of the five Cinque Terre towns and you can get here by train or by boat. It’s also the starting (or the ending-) point of the famous Cinque Terre hiking trail.
There are many more accommodation options in Monterosso al Mare than in any other town of Cinque Terre. It was really tough to make a selection, so I only picked hotels that have really good reviews and offer something special. Here are some of the very best Monterosso al Mare hotels:
- Hotel Porto Roca. Probably one of the nicest hotels in Cinque Terre, this 4* hotel in Monterosso truly has it all. Stunning location on the cliffs, spectacular views, and even a swimming pool. Located a bit outside of Monterosso, the hotel offers free transfer to and from Monterosso train station or car parking on arrival and departure, so no need to worry about carrying your luggage up the hill. There are rooms for up to 4 people and some of them have sea views.
- Hotel Villa Adriana. This is one of the best-rated Monterosso hotels that is not far from the beach and within walking distance to the train station. Surrounded by palm trees, this hotel offers air-conditioned rooms for 1 to 4 people, good buffet breakfast, and a swimming pool. It also has free car parking – not something you quickly find in Cinque Terre.
- Hotel Palme. One of the biggest hotels in Monterosso, this four-star property gets its name from the palm trees in its garden. Just a short walk from the train station and the beach, this hotel features modern air-conditioned rooms for up to 4 people.
- Hotel Marina. This 3-star hotel with superb customer reviews is located in the old town of Monterosso. If you like charming narrow streets, hidden gardens, and cosy boutique-style rooms, then this hotel might be just perfect for your stay in Cinque Terre. Guests are raving about this place!
- Albergo Degli Amici. Fabulous small hotel with a beautiful rooftop garden overlooking Monterosso and the Ligurian sea in the distance. Close to the beach and the harbor, and about 10 minutes walking distance from the train station. Customer reviews are really positive!
- Locanda Il Maestrale. This boutique-style hotel located in the old town of Monterosso has some of the best customer reviews in town. It’s a family-run place with a delicious breakfast, air-conditioned double rooms, and an outdoor dining area with beautiful views.
- Hotel Baia. You cannot get any closer to the beach than this! This 3-star historic hotel has an excellent location, its own private beach, and some rooms also have sea views. It’s not the nicest hotel in town, so you pay for the location. If you are staying here, make sure to get a room overlooking the sea.
- Hotel La Spiaggia. One of the best-rated hotels located near the train station, close to the sea and right at the main beach of Monterosso al Mare. This is a simple 2-star hotel with air-conditioned double rooms (some have partial sea view), good breakfast, and free parking. If you are on a lower budget, this is probably one of the best choices in Monterosso.
Apart from hotels, there are many other accommodation options in Monterosso al Mare. Here are just a few apartments and a B&B that I think deserve a separate mention:
- Tramonto sul Mare is a beautiful 2-bedroom sea-view apartment with a private terrace, located directly by the beach.
- La Casa di Zuecca. This B&B with a beautiful rooftop terrace has constant great ratings on all websites. It’s ranking as one of the best places to stay in Monterosso based on Trip Advisor reviews at the time of writing.
Best places to stay in Vernazza
Vernazza is a picture-perfect little town that you just have to see in Cinque Terre. By noon, its harbor with a small beach is crowded with tourists. Accommodation here is quite limited and most places are privately-owned. Vernazza is a good town to stay in Cinque Terre for those who like to be in the center of the action, but not ideal if you want a quieter vacation.
The central location of Vernazza makes it perfect for sightseeing in Cinque Terre. It has a train station, a boat harbor, and it’s located along the Cinque Terre hiking trail, pretty much in the middle between Monterosso and Corniglia. The beach is not huge, but if you want to go for a quick swim, it’s definitely possible. However, there are just a few quality accommodations in Vernazza.
Here are some of the best accommodation options in Vernazza:
- Albergo Barbara. Located at the main square of Vernazza, right at the harbor, this is one of the best-rated accommodations at a prime location in Vernazza. However, please note that not all rooms have private bathrooms and some private bathrooms are located in the hall, so check well what you book. Some rooms have sea views. There is no air-conditioning and breakfast isn’t included in the price.
- MaDa Charm Apartment Terrace & Carugio. Their apartment with sea view would be my personal choice for a family stay in Vernazza. Great location, modern rooms with air-conditioning, and a little terrace with a spectacular view. Please note that the smaller studio has no views.
- MaDa Charm Apartment Jacuzzi is a fantastic modern apartment that is perfect for a romantic stay in Cinque Terre. This apartment has a terrace with sea views and even a jacuzzi. You can’t go wrong with this place!
- Santa Marta Rooms 23 and Santa Marta Rooms 25. Privately-owned beautiful modern self-catering apartments with great customer reviews – one of the top picks in Vernazza. Both locations have air-conditioned double rooms and also 2-bedroom apartments. Rooms 25 have some views of the little streets of Vernazza old town.
- Hotel Gianni Franzi. Two-star old quirky hotel with rooms for up to 3 people has good reviews and is pretty much the only hotel in town. Most rooms have private bathrooms and some also have great views. There are lots of stairs, so it’s not ideal if you have mobility issues.
- Donna Barbara. This privately-owned modern 1 bedroom apartment that sleeps up to 4 people, has really good customer ratings. It’s located very close to the harbor, restaurants, and shops, but in a quiet street, just far enough from the noise of the tourists.
- La Scala. One of the best-sellers in Vernazza, this privately-owned property features two self-catering apartments for 2 or 3 people. One of the best value for money apartments in Vernazza.
Best Corniglia accommodations
Corniglia is in my opinion the least-suited location for sightseeing in Cinque Terre. It’s a village that is located high on the hill, whereas the train station is at the bottom by the sea. Furthermore, there is no harbor in Corniglia, so no easy boat connections to the nearby villages.
However, if you are looking for a quiet holiday in Cinque Terre, this is probably the most authentic and the least touristy village of them all…
Here are a few of the best accommodations in Corniglia for those looking for a real vacation rather than a quick sightseeing trip:
- Daa Maduneta. This guesthouse features air-conditioned rooms for 2 or 3 people. Most rooms have sea views, the others – private garden. Breakfast vouchers for the nearby restaurant are included and guests give this property excellent ratings. One of the best-value accommodations in Corniglia.
- Luxury Penthouse Sea View. If you see the view from the terrace of this place, you won’t want to stay anywhere else! This beautiful modern 1-bedroom holiday house is perfect for those who love quiet breakfasts and romantic dinners enjoying the most spectacular views of Cinque Terre. One of the most beautiful places to stay in 5Terre – incredible!
- Affittacamere Arbasia De Ma. All the rooms of this highly-rated self-catering accommodation have superb sea views. Great value for your money.
Best hotels in Manarola
Manarola is one of the most picturesque towns of Cinque Terre. It has everything you need for a perfect vacation in 5Terre – easy access by train or boat, lots of shops and restaurants, and spectacular picture-perfect views. Sunsets here are magical and you really can’t go wrong with choosing Manarola for your stay in Cinque Terre!
There are just a couple of hotels in Manarola, so in my selection I included a couple of other highly-rated accommodations as well. Here are some of the best places to stay in Manarola:
- Hotel Marina Piccola is probably the best hotel in Manarola. A couple of minutes walking distance from the train station or from the rocky beach, this hotel offers air-conditioned rooms for 2, 3, or 4 people. They serve generous breakfast and there are lots of restaurants for lunch or dinner nearby. Some rooms have sea views, so if you can secure one of those, don’t hesitate! Guest reviews are superb.
- Ca’ D’Andrean. This highly-rated 3* hotel with double rooms is ideal for couples, solo travelers, or two friends traveling together. Location is beautiful, but it requires some steep walk uphill from the train station. Italian-style breakfast is served daily and all the rooms are air-conditioned.
- Da Baranin B&B. One of the best-value quality accommodations in Manarola, this B&B is located in the highest part of Manarola. There are rooms and self-catering studios for up to 4 people and some rooms offer stunning views. Breakfast is included in the stay and traveler reviews are excellent. If you don’t mind some stairs, check it out!
- Da Paulin. Just 200m from Manarola train station (but a bit uphill), this self-catering accommodation offers rooms from 2 up to 4 people. Most rooms have spectacular sea views. Conveniently located next to many shops and restaurants. There is a small café where you can have breakfast with a discount from accommodation.
- Luxury Seaview Apartments Manarola. This self-catering property offers highly-rated accommodations from 2 and up to 10 people. Many apartments have balconies with stunning sea views. Located high up the hill a bit further inland than most other properties mentioned above, but still within easy walking distance to everything. This is one of the few accommodations in Manarola that has private parking available nearby.
Where to stay in Riomoaggiore
Riomaggiore is a lively Cinque Terre town that somehow feels as if it still has more local residents than tourists. I have no idea if this is true though… Riomaggiore has a bit more good accommodation choices than Manarola or Vernazza, but not as many as Monterosso al Mare. It’s also a nice town to stay in Cinque Terre and it has pretty much everything you need: easy accessibility by train or boat and lots of shops and restaurants.
The reason why I prefer Manarola, Vernazza or Monterosso al Mare to Riomaggiore is that those towns have a nicer waterfront area. They are all very different, but all have more cafés and restaurants from which you can enjoy the waterfront and the beautiful sea views than Riomaggiore… Riomaggiore waterfront is very picturesque but tiny.
Nevertheless, the location of Riomaggiore is perfect for sightseeing in Cinque Terre and if you find a nice accommodation with sea view, it might be a fantastic place to stay in Cinque Terre as well.
Here are some of the best hotels and accommodations in Riomaggiore:
- Crêuza de Mä. Probably the nicest hotel at one of the best locations in Riomaggiore. This hotel has several outdoor terraces, two gardens, a heated hot tub and all the rooms have sea views. Ideal for couples, solo travelers, or two friends since they only have twin or double rooms available. Fantastic customer reviews – check it out!
- The First – Riomaggiore 5 Terre. Luxury apartments with terraces offering the best views of Riomaggiore! You cannot beat this location – it’s like staying inside a postcard. Modern air-conditioned apartments for up to 4 people and superb guest ratings.
- Scorci Di Mare. Historic building right at the picturesque little harbor of Riomaggiore with postcard-views. Recently renovated, but with traditional elements like wooden-beamed ceilings, this boutique hotel has a big selection of rooms for up to 3 people. Most rooms have incredible sea views. Great location.
- Cinqueterre Residence. Fabulous hotel with rooms and apartments for up to 3 people. Spacious rooms are air-conditioned and some of them have balconies or terraces with spectacular views. This hotel also has an outdoor hot tub and even car parking is possible.
- Mare amore @ Riomaggiore. Beautifully renovated self-catering accommodation with family apartments for 4 people and a possibility of an extra bed. It’s located further from the sea, in the centre, and a bit uphill. Guest reviews are fabulous, so if you are looking for a nice affordable place to stay in Cinque Terre with your family, this is a really good choice.
- Affittacamere Rio Centrale. This is one of the more affordable accommodations with great guest reviews in Riomaggiore. Good value for your money in Cinque Terre.
- Live in The Heart of 5 Terre. This is the best-rated 5-person apartment with sea views in Riomaggiore. Great for a family stay and good value for the location.
- Ai Pesci Room Rental. Simple air-conditioned double rooms with sea views. Great location overlooking the picturesque harbor.
Best Cinque Terre hotels with sea view
This is a selection of the very best Cinque Terre hotels and accommodations with the best sea views. All these hotels have already been mentioned above, but I thought it might be easier for you to have the most beautiful places with the best views listed in one place.
All these accommodations have excellent customer ratings and those postcard-views that will make your holiday in Cinque Terre even more memorable. If you have the budget, then don’t look any further – these are the absolute best places with a view to stay in Cinque Terre:
- Hotel Porto Roca in Monterosso al Mare
- Albergo Barbara in Vernazza
- MaDa Charm Apartment Jacuzzi in Vernazza
- Da Paulin in Manarola
- Luxury Seaview Apartments in Manarola
- Luxury Penthouse Sea View in Corniglia
- Crêuza de Mä in Riomaggiore
- Scorci Di Mare in Riomaggiore
- The First – Riomaggiore 5 Terre in Riomaggiore
Best Cinque Terre hotels near a train station
Just before publishing this selection of Cinque Terre hotels, I got a question from a reader asking for a very specific suggestion. Best Cinque Terre accommodations that are close to the train station and don’t require much uphill walking with heavy luggage.
So here is a small selection of Cinque Terre hotels that are close to the train station and relatively easy to reach with your bags:
- If you don’t like any uphill walking with your luggage, you should probably look into staying in Monterosso al Mare. There are plenty of hotels within a short walking distance from the train station and Monterosso is relatively flat. The closest to the train station is this little guesthouse Affittacamere La Terrazza sul Mare. The closest hotel is Hotel Baia. You can just click on the map function on Booking.com and find many other easily-accessible accommodations nearby.
- Hotel Porto Roca in Monterosso al Mare is not easy to reach, but they do have a free shuttle to the train station, so no need to worry about your luggage there either.
- There are a couple of accommodations relatively close to the train station in Vernazza. If you just stay on the shortest path between the train station and the harbor, it’s actually relatively flat. Vintage Apartment is located the closest to the train station. If you click on the map on Booking.com, you’ll see several other accommodations nearby.
- Manarola is a bit more hilly, so most accommodations require at least some uphill walking. The nicest Manarola hotels that are relatively easy to reach from the train station are Hotel Marina Piccola and Da Paulin.
- Corniglia and Riomaggiore are probably not the best places to stay if you don’t want to walk far with your luggage.
Best alternative towns to stay near Cinque Terre
As already mentioned, Cinque Terre hotels are scarce and quality accommodations with nice views are really expensive. Therefore many people opt to stay at the nearby towns and visit Cinque Terre just for a day or two, as a day trip.
The best-located towns near Cinque Terre are La Spezia and Levanto, both on the same train line that passes all 5 Cinque Terre villages. Both these towns have lots of accommodation options and are much more affordable.
La Spezia is probably the most budget-friendly place to stay near Cinque Terre. For sure, it’s not the same as staying in Cinque Terre and you won’t find any of those picture-perfect views of colorful villages against the blue Ligurian sea…
But if you are visiting Cinque Terre for a shorter time and are only interested in sightseeing, then staying here is a very good and budget-friendly alternative. Here you can find the best deals for La Spezia accommodation. Alternatively, check prices and availability for your travel dates using the map below.
TIP: Using the map below, you can compare hotels, B&Bs, and short-term rental accommodations in La Spezia. Simply insert your travel dates and group size, and you’ll see the best deals for your stay. You can also zoom out and use this map for accommodations in Cinque Terre as well. Check it out!
Levanto is located by the sea, has a long white sand beach, and is a real vacation destination on the Ligurian coast. Accommodations here might not be much cheaper than in Cinque Terre, but in general, you should get much more for your money. Here you can find the best deals for Levanto hotels.
Another really nice place to stay near Cinque Terre is Portovenere. Here you can read all about visiting Portovenere and here you can find the best deals for Portovenere accommodations. It’s not much cheaper than Cinque Terre, but is much quieter, just as picturesque, and offers good boat connections to Cinque Terre and many nearby towns and some little islands.
So, this is our guide to the best Cinque Terre hotels and accommodations, so you know where to sleep in Cinque Terre. I hope this guide will help you find the best-suitable place for your holidays in Cinque Terre.
TIP: If you can afford it, splurge on a room with a terrace & sea views and enjoy the ultimate Cinque Terre experience!
If you have any questions for your visit, please check our practical guide to visiting Cinque Terre. For more information about the highlights, please check our guide to the best of Cinque Terre in 1 day.
More tips for your trip to Italy:
- Where to go: Best Places to Visit in Italy
- What to eat: Traditional Italian Food by Region
- Rome: Tips for Visiting Rome
- Venice: One Day in Venice
- Tuscany: Best Towns in Tuscany & Tuscany Itinerary
- Amalfi Coast: Capri Island & Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- Milan: One Day in Milan
- The Lakes: Lake Garda & Bellagio, Lake Como
- Off the beaten path: Emilia Romagna & Trentino
- Bucket list: San Marino & Best Hikes in the Dolomites
If you found this post useful, don’t forget to bookmark it for future reference and share with your friends. Are you on Pinterest? Pin this image!