Are you wondering where to stay and what are the best hotels near Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado? This Rocky Mountain NP lodging guide is for you!
If you have done some research for the best Rocky Mountain National Park hotels or cabins, you probably already know that there is no overnight accommodation available inside the park itself. However, there are plenty of excellent hotels, lodges, and cabins located nearby, giving you easy access to all the sightseeing and activities on offer in and near Rocky Mountain National Park.
But what are the best places to stay near Rocky Mountain NP? I’ll save you the time for research – there are basically two places that are best to stay for visiting the Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park and Grand Lake. Find out!
Estes Park vs. Grand Lake
If you are looking for an easy answer where to stay in Rocky Mountain National Park – in Estes Park or in Grand Lake, I’d say Estes Park. If you look at the map, you’ll see that these two places are located really far from each other and Estes Park has a much better location for visiting the Rocky Mountain NP. Take a look at the more detailed breakdown of the advantages of each of these towns below.
Located just 15 minutes away from the eastern side of the park, Estes Park is the best place to stay near Rocky Mountain National Park. Sitting on the front range of the Rocky Mountains, Estes Park offers convenient access to the most popular hiking trails.
It makes the perfect base from which to take in the breathtaking views and enjoy all the recreational activities available – everything from fishing and cycling in the summer, to sledding and cross country skiing in the winter months.
There are also many more lodging options and good hotels in Estes Park than in Grand Lake.
Back in my college years, I spent three summer months working in Estes Park. I took full advantage of its excellent location and spent every free day on the hiking trails. If you come here for sightseeing, I can assure you that Estes Park is the best place to stay for exploring the Rocky Mountain National Park.
Grand Lake is known as The ‘Western Gateway’ to the Rocky Mountain National Park. It is located further from the attractions and hiking trails of the park, making it somewhat cheaper than Estes Park and far quieter.
The perfect destination for a lazy vacation, rather than a sightseeing trip in the area, the lake’s shores are dotted with summer homes and quaint cabins. A variety of recreational activities are available year-round, including sailing and fishing in the summer and snowmobiling in the winter. Grand Lake is proud to be known as the Snowmobiling Capital of Colorado!
Estes Park vs. Grand Lake. If you are looking for a place that has it all, then I recommend Estes Park. If you are looking for a more low-key vacation destination, then Grand Lake can be perfect for you.
In this guide to the best Rocky Mountain National Park hotels, I mostly focus on Estes Park lodging, because it offers the best hotels near Rocky Mountain National Park. The selection is split into different categories to help you find the best accommodation option for your trip.
At the bottom of this post, you can also find a small selection of the best accommodation options in Grand Lake.
But first – the best places to stay in Estes Park – top choice for Rocky Mountain National Park lodging. Find out!
Best Estes Park hotels near Rocky Mountain National Park
With such a wide variety of accommodation in the area, finding the right hotel to suit the needs of your group isn’t always easy. Not to mention that it’s really time-consuming… The good news is that I’ve done the research for you, and this Rocky Mountain National Park accommodation guide is intended to help you find exactly what you’re looking for.
Whether you are looking for the best price-quality hotel for visiting Rocky Mountain National Park, budget accommodation in Estes Park, or a luxury resort for a family vacation near Rocky Mountain NP – in this post you should be able to find the very best Estes Park accommodation option for your trip, travel style, group size, and budget. Read on!
Please note that this selection of the best Estes Park lodging is made based on my personal experience, customer reviews on various websites, location and facilities of accommodations, as well as the price.
This post is not sponsored and all opinions are solely my own and are meant to save you time and make your vacation planning easier. At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you book accommodation using the links in this post.
TIP: Rocky Mountain National Park is extremely popular in the summer months, so if you are traveling between June and August, you have to book your Rocky Mountain accommodations well in advance.
BEST ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS NEAR ROCKY MOUNTAIN NP, COLORADO:
Best located hotels for exploring the Rocky Mountain National Park
There are two main Rocky Mountain National Park entrance gates in the direct proximity of Estes Park: the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station and Fall River Entrance Station. They are both very close to Estes Park, but also to the main hiking area, Bear Lake Trailhead. These two park entrances also offer the quickest access to the Trail Ridge Road – the scenic road that you have to drive at least once when visiting Rocky Mountain National Park.
So if you come for sightseeing and want the best location that offers you the quickest access to the Rocky Mountain National Park, you should consider staying either at Fall River or near Beaver Meadows area.
TIP: Rocky Mountain NP offers a daily or 7-day pass for short visits. However, if you are visiting several American National Parks in one year, consider purchasing an annual National Parks pass instead. It’s the best option for families, but also for everyone who visits multiple parks during a 12-month period.
Below is a small selection of Estes Park hotels that are the closest to the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park AND have all received excellent reviews from previous visitors. These are by far the best accommodation options near Rocky Mountain National Park for those who are mainly interested in sightseeing, hiking, and exploring the park.
Best Estes Park lodging near Beaver Meadows Entrance Gate:
- The Landing at Estes Park. Excellent reviews, splendid setting, and just near the park entrance.
- Alpine Trail Ridge Inn. Motel with heated outdoor pool and a restaurant. Best value for the location.
- Rams Horn Village Resort and Beaver Brook on the River. These are both 2-bedroom holiday homes with fantastic reviews and just near the park entrance.
- YMCA of the Rockies. 3 miles from the park entrance. Big resort with focus on activities, such as horseback riding, fishing, rock climbing, and a zip line. There is a big indoor pool as well.
Best Estes Park lodging near Fall River Entrance Gate:
- Wildwood Inn. Just 1 mile from Rocky Mountain National Park and with a full service day spa.
- Boulder Brook on Fall River. Excellent reviews. Small, adults-only property, where all rooms have a patio with a river view.
- Amberwood. Well-located cozy cabins and rooms for up to 8 people.
Most scenically located accommodations near Rocky Mountain National Park
Breathtaking scenery abounds in Estes Park, but there are several places to stay which offer particularly stunning views of their surroundings. Here is a selection of Estes Park accommodations that are located in the most beautiful setting.
- The Estes Park Resort. Lake front resort with spectacular views of Lake Estes and the Rocky Mountains. Features indoor pool, spa, and on-site restaurant.
- Estes Lake Lodge. Lake views and excellent value for your money.
- Streamside on Fall River. Big choice of cabins and suites, nestled by the river surrounded by pine and aspen trees. Each have mountain views and some also have a patio with views of the river. A great location for fishing; some guests have reported catching rainbow trout right outside their cabins!
- The Inn on Fall River & Fall River Cabins. Beautiful cabins with river and mountain views. If you’re lucky, you might run into some wildlife just outside your cabin.
- 4 Seasons Inn on Fall River. Adult-only resort with stunning views of the Fall River. The spacious deck – which includes a large outdoor jetted hot tub – is the perfect place from which to take in the beautiful scenery.
- Rams Horn Village Resort. Rated ‘exceptional’ by customers on Booking.com, this luxury 2-bedroom holiday home offers beautiful mountain views and is frequently visited by local wildlife. Seasonal outdoor swimming pool is available.
Best Estes Park hotels for big families
These Estes Park hotels and inns have family rooms for at least 6 people (some even more) and all have Booking.com customer ratings of 8+. I have listed them in order of their location, beginning with the accommodations closest to the Rocky Mountains National Park.
- Wildwood Inn. Accommodation for up to 10 people. All rooms have private hot tubs and there is an outdoor swimming pool as well.
- The Inn on Fall River & Fall River Cabins. Stunning location with accommodations for up to 7 people.
- Silver Moon Inn. Located on the riverfront with a seasonal outdoor pool and a hot tub. Family rooms for up to 7 people.
- Appenzell Inn. Family suites sleep up to 8 people and there’s a beautiful indoor pool. Breakfast included.
- Murphy’s River Lodge. Beautiful hotel within walking distance from Estes Park downtown. Nice indoor pool and a hot tub. Family rooms for up to 6 people. Breakfast included.
- The Estes Park Resort. Lake front resort with spectacular view, indoor pool, spa, and rooms for up to 6, even 7 people.
- Hotel Estes. This popular hotel offers great views. With a children’s playground and some rooms sleeping up to 6 guests, this is a great family hotel. Breakfast included.
Best value for money hotels in Estes Park
If you’re on a low- to mid-range budget but don’t want to compromise on quality, the following Estes Park accommodations offer excellent value at great prices. I only included properties that are not just affordable, but also have really good customer reviews.
- Coyote Mountain Lodge. One of the most affordable Estes Park accommodations with excellent customer reviews.
- Quality Inn near Rocky Mountain National Park. Simple hotel that offers excellent value in Estes Park and has great customer reviews. Seasonal outdoor pool is available and free hot breakfast is included.
- Murphy’s Resort. Simple nice hotel with fabulous reviews, an outdoor heated pool, and family suites sleeping up to 6 people. Breakfast included. This is probably one of the best price-quality accommodations in Estes Park.
- Discovery Lodge. Great value and beautiful location. Pet-friendly hotel.
- YMCA of the Rockies. Excellent location, superb guest reviews, and heated indoor pool make this lodge outstanding value for money.
- Blue Door Inn. This newly renovated Inn describes itself as ‘Budget Done Better’, offering great rooms at good prices. Free breakfast is included and a seasonal heated pool is available.
TIP: If you want to visit Rocky Mountain National Park on a budget, try to avoid high season.
If you want to compare hotels and Airbnb accommodations in Estes Park, see the map below. You can easily select your travel dates and group size and find the best deals. Check it out!
Best accommodation in Estes Park with indoor pools
While many Estes Park hotels and lodges feature seasonal outdoor pools, accommodation with an indoor pool is harder to find. The following hotels in Estes Park all include both an indoor heated pool and (unless noted) a hot tub.
- The Estes Park Resort. Indoor pool, hot tub, spa, fitness, and a beautiful location.
- Appenzell Inn. Beautiful indoor pool. Also includes expansive gardens with 2 waterfall ponds.
- Murphy’s River Lodge. Nice indoor pool and great location. Just over 3 miles from the Rocky Mountains National Park and a 5 minute walk from Estes Park town center.
- The Ridgeline Hotel Estes Park, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member. In addition to its indoor pool and tub, this hotel features a complete fitness center. There is also an excellent, free games room. This is a pet-friendly hotel.
- YMCA of the Rockies. Ideally located in close proximity to the entrance of the Rocky Mountains National Park, the Lodge offers a large, indoor heated pool. There is no hot tub available.
A unique place to stay in Estes Park… If you dare!
The Stanley Hotel. Fans of ‘The Shining‘ will love this historic Estes Park Hotel, famous for being the inspiration for Stephen King’s ‘Overlook Hotel’. I always thought that the movie was filmed here in Estes Park, but it appears that the actual hotel used for the film was represented by Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood in Oregon…
Anyway, The Stanley Hotel is an interesting place to visit and they even organize tours. If you are brave enough, why not try the ‘Night Tour’ and immerse yourself in the story of the hotel’s history… after dark!
While it oozes old-world charm and has a beautiful facade, some of the guest rooms may benefit from a little updating and customer reviews aren’t great, so I’m not sure if this is the best lodging option in Estes Park. But if you are looking for a hotel with history and charm and are lucky to get a room with a view – it might be one of the most special places to stay in Estes Park!
Grand Lake – alternative accommodation near Rocky Mountain National Park
While Estes Park is ideally situated for your Rocky Mountain National Park vacation, it’s really popular and also expensive. Another good place to stay for visiting Rocky Mountain National Park is Grand Lake.
The following is a selection of the best-rated places to stay in Grand Lake:
- Gateway Inn and Conference Center. One of the biggest and best hotels in town. Beautiful outdoor terrace with stunning views.
- Western Riviera Lakeside Lodging. Lakeside motel with beautiful views and fantastic guest reviews.
- The Historic Rapids Lodge. One of the best-rated accommodations in Grand Lake that also offers excellent value for your money. Rooms for up to 6 people.
- The World’s End Brewpub. One of the nicest B&B’s in Grand Lake. Lots of character, cozy rooms, and great location.
- Daven Haven Lodge & Cabins. Cabins in a forest setting, within walking distance to the old town.
So, this is our guide to the best Estes Park hotels and places to stay near Rocky Mountain National Park. I hope it will help you plan your trip to the RMNP.
Just please remember one thing – booking Rocky Mountain National Park lodging well in advance is essential! The best price-quality accommodations sell out months and months in advance and what’s left is usually extremely expensive.
TIP: If you are visiting this area, don’t miss the Maroon Bells near Aspen. It’s one of the most iconic mountain destinations in Colorado!
If you found this post useful, don’t forget to bookmark it and share it with your friends. Are you on Pinterest? Pin this image!