A while ago I received my first blogging award – The Liebster Award! It’s only now that I finally found the time to write this post. The Liebster Award is a virtual award that is given from blogger to blogger, recognising fellow bloggers and promoting new and upcoming blogs.
I’d like to thank Priti from Absolute Wanderlust for the nomination. Priti lives in New Zealand, works full time and travels part time. Just like us, she proves that you don’t have to quit your job and hit the road with a backpack in order to see the world.
The Liebster Award guidelines:
- Write a blog post about your nomination and display an image of the award
- Thank the person who nominated you and link them to your blog
- Answer the 11 questions the person who nominated you has asked in their blog post
- Nominate 5 – 11 other new bloggers who you think deserve this award and come up with 11 questions of your own for them to answer
- List these rules in your blog post
Get to know me – my answers to the Liebster Award questions
1. Describe yourself in three words.
Curious. Driven. Real.
2. During your travels, which country has surprised you in a positive way and why?
It has to be South Africa. First time we travelled there was ten years ago and I remember people warning us about the dangers and my husband telling me I was out of my mind planning a trip to a place like that…
We both fell in love with South Africa from first sight: the people, the nature, the food, the atmosphere… South Africa is often described as ‘the world in one country’ and in a way it is. We hardly ever travel to the same place twice; South Africa is an exception!
3. Describe the moment you fell in love with travelling…
I have travelled for as long as I can remember and I always liked new experiences. But I think I truly started to appreciate it when I spent a summer at the Rocky Mountains National Park in Colorado. Hiking in the mountains for the first time in my life has changed me forever. Every weekend, every free hour was spent discovering the mountains and falling in love with nature all over again.
4. Which destination is at the top of your bucket list and why?
That’s a tough one as the positions on the ‘list’ are changing all the time. It’s mainly nature destinations that inspire me – Canada, Switzerland, Alaska, Hawaii, Norway, Argentina, Chile, Antarctica – these are just a few places I dream of going (back) to one day… I love nature and given the choice would always go for a national park rather than a busy city.
5. What do you struggle with the most as a travel blogger?
Lack of time. I have so many ideas and so many travel experiences to share, but there are only so many hours in a day and so many other obligations. There are also other fun things to do, like reading a book, photography, spending time with my family, and traveling…
You will not see me blogging when I’m on vacation. I know there are travel bloggers who blog when traveling, but they either don’t have children or they are traveling full time, or both… It takes so much time to write a good quality blog post… Time you could spend hiking or sightseeing…
6. What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten while overseas and was it good?
It has to be the food in China. We ate lots of strange things, didn’t ask what it was (sometimes it’s better not to know), but we truly enjoyed it!
7. Besides your passport, name three essential items that we’d find in your carry-on?
Credit card, camera gear, and sunglasses.
8. What is your most memorable travel experience?
That’s a difficult one as there are so many! The motorcycle trips with my husband years ago were unforgettable. I wouldn’t dare to do that now that we have kids, but traveling on a motorbike is so different from any other travel experience. The wind, the freedom, the closeness to nature… It’s not comparable to any other way of traveling.
9. What is your favourite movie or book about travel?
‘Into The Wild’ is my absolute favourite travel movie. What a story!
Favourite book is ‘The Art of Travel’ by Alain De Botton. It’s not a typical travel book telling you where to travel, it shows you how and why. Great read!
10. If you had the opportunity to travel with a famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?
Ansel Adams. For the best landscape photography ever.
11. Where’s your next travel destination?
We are going to visit several National Parks in the U.S this summer: The Rocky Mountains, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Teton and, of course, Yellowstone. Can’t wait!
My nominees for the Liebster Award are:
My questions for the nominees are:
- What does traveling mean to you?
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- What are your top 3 favourite cities in the world? Describe in one word why.
- If you won a trip of your choice, where would you go?
- Mountains or beaches?
- What’s your most memorable travel experience?
- If you could give one tip for other travellers, what would that be?
- What’s the worst thing that happened to you when traveling?
- What’s your favourite place in your home country?
- Books or movies?
- 5 random facts about yourself
Please leave the link to your posts here in the comments, so I can get to know you better!